Sunday, September 9, 2012

DOW JONES- $13,306.64
S&P 500- $1,437.92
NASDAQ- $3,136.42

The Walt Disney Company- $51.74
Time Warner Inc.- $24.66
News Corp.- $43.64



I chose Entertainment Diversified as my industry because I thought that companies such as Universal, Paramount, and Disney would be included in the industry. However, when I went to pick my three companies for my stock portfolio I was surprised to find how few public companies were in my industry. The Walt Disney Company was a publicly traded company so I chose it because Disney is a largely successful company and I knew it would be a safe investment. I chose my other companies by looking at their revenue streams and chose my other two companies based which company brought in the most profits per year. I was quite surprised how cheap a single share in Disney, only being around $50. I knew it was a safe investment because everybody loves Disney. Then while reading news on my industry I found that other people agree that Disney is undervalued. Disney, not only has a huge market in the United States already, they are increasing their fleet and also transforming their Disney California Adventure, and Disney is expanding their reach, building parks in Hong Kong and Shanghai.

Also in my industry, I read that CNN led cable news ratings for Obama's convention speech. Time Warner Inc., which owns CNN, averaged 5.56 million viewers. The Walt Disney Companies' ABC drew 4 million viewers, CBS Corp. received 3.29 million, and News Corporations' Fox received 2.91 million viewers. Before reading this article I did not know which companies owned companies such as Fox, ABC, and CNN. This article gave me much insight into my industry and the companies involved in this industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment